What can a vision loss "hub" do for me?


Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC): Employed by State Commissions for the Blind to assist people with vision loss in achieving gainful employment outcomes and connecting them with social services

logo (11).png


The State Commissions for the Blind are set up at a local level, therefore each one operates slightly differently. The overall encompassing objective is to provide legally blind clients with the skills, services and assistance necessary to maintain their independence. Vocational objectives are prioritized, and if you are not "legally blind" by your state commission standards, you may not have access to these resources. 

logo (10).png

Contact & Experience

Once you are enrolled and registered with your local Commission for the Blind, you may find contact with your VRC to be limited. Many VRCs manage a large caseload, and only have quarterly, or biannual meetings with their clients. The role of the VRC is to connect you with the technology training, social casework counseling, or any additional training needs you have. These connections are then meant to achieve successful outcomes during the time between your VRC meetings. However, each approach varies from state-to-state. 


Scope of Services

For many states, once your are registered in your local Commission for the Blind, you become a lifelong client. This means from the moment you are legally blind, you can rest assured services will be provided to help you confront new life issues as they arise. Staying in touch with your counselor will help ensure your needs are addressed.